ZHelper is a mapping program designed to be used with Fred Coughlin's Zelda Randomizer. Version 4 has been rewritten nearly from scratch, adding many new features and revamping existing ones. The source files are included in the download, so feel free to mess with it, use it on your stream, or whatever as long as you're not doing something illegal with it.
- A detailed, markable overworld map showing where default secrets are, with support for all randomizer modes
- A redesigned dungeon map system designed to be MUCH more feature-rich than ZH3's dungeon mapper
- Automatic narrowing-down of which dungeons a given dungeon map can be as you mark dungeon screens
- Markers for things like triforce pieces, heart containers, and all dungeon/overworld items
- Player markers for overworld and dungeon screens so you know who has been where
- Marking of starting screens for all overworld and dungeon maps
- A screen to mark helpful hints given by the old man
- Network mode which allows collaborative tracking for up to 8 players at a time
- Network-compatible player position tracking that updates in realtime (only supports FCEUX right now, no LUA required!)
- IN PROGRESS: Randomizers for a few things that fcoughlin's randomizer doesn't change
If you'd like to test out ZHelper in your browser, there is an HTML 5 version available here. Please note that some features may be limited or not work completely as intended, and this version may not be completely up-to-date with the standalone version. For regular usage, downloading the standalone version is recommended.
You can download the current version of ZHelper 4 (v4.45) for Windows here.
The most current Windows version compiled in GM Studio 2 can be found here (NOTE: This build is untested!)
If you're looking for the tournament stream version, you can grab it here. It includes instructions in the readme. Its very stripped down compared to the normal ZHelper 4.
It is highly reccommended that you check out the tutorial page (link below), even if you've used ZHelper before, as many things have been changed.
You can view the help section here. It should explain everything you need to know.
- Nintendo for making Zelda 1.
- Fred Coughlin for making the Zelda Randomizer.
- Thank you to everyone who has helped with their suggestions, testing, and feedback over the course of ZHelper's development! This thing wouldn't be in its current state without your help!
Click on a version number to download that version. For a more complete version history and download links for old versions, see this page.
v4.45 (GMS 1.4 Build) (GMS2 Build) (01/06/20)
- Made the updater not pop up a messagebox unless clicked. It will still show the status at the bottom right of the main menu.
- Added an option to switch display of the overworld coordinates on the map to A1-H16 style instead of hexadecimal. It only changes on the map right now, and also disables the player indicators on the overworld map to make room for the longer string.
v4.44 (GMS 1.4 Build) (GMS2 Build) (01/06/20)
- Made the updater handle Gamemaker Studio 2 builds correctly. To start getting GMS2 builds in the future, be sure to manually download the 4.44 GMS2 build off Discord or the website. From this point on, it should keep you on the same GM version.
- Added the ability to shift dungeon maps around using a new set of buttons on the D maps. It only works when both network mode and auto-mapping are not active, however. This is due to the auto-syncing between D and C maps on the server, and obviously auto-mapping would never need to shift maps. Its always those old classic dungeon maps causing problems. :(
- Added an X item icon to manually mark an item box as disabled. Hold shift, and middle-click an item box to set the icon. It cannot be accessed by other means.
- Added a couple types of negative overworld color palettes to the randomizer addons, as suggested by Devan2002. It doesn't change the black color yet unfortunately. Sounds like fun times either way.
- Added dungeon icons for ladder, bow/arrow, sword/wand, and recorder blocks.
- Added in two new dungeon guides. LEVEL-? text at the bottom next to each tile picture, and item icons along the right to help align markings easier.
v4.43-GMS2 (11/01/19) (NOTE: This build is untested!)
- This release is the same as 4.43, but compiled in GM Studio 2. It is just here for (hopefully) better compatibility with newer versions of Windows. It is completely untested, so use it at your own risk during races and such! Going forward, I'll try to post a GMS2 build alongside the GMS 1.4 builds if it doesn't crash horribly. Right now it uses the same update system as the GMS 1.4 builds, so don't update it if you want to stay on GMS2 for now! It'll be a separate update channel in future builds.
- Added a mirrored toggle for the overworld map screen. Right-click the MIX button to mirror the overworld map. It doesn't swap all the already-marked locations though.
- Fixed the ladder & white sword item icons below their respective boxes.